When we last met we were discussing how we might structure our lessons to thoughtfully address changes we might make in our courses and in instruction. We are working to bring some education specialists into our next meeting. I am also posting these resources for you. It is “Understanding by Design” by Grant Wiggins and Jay McTighe. Please take a look at these resources:
- Overview of Understanding by Design Framework which includes an overview of the Understanding by Design framework. It includes a description of the 3 stages as well as a chart of Learning Goals and Teaching Roles. It can be found at http://www.ascd.org/ASCD/pdf/siteASCD/publications/UbD_WhitePaper0312.pdf
- There is a two part video that provides an overview of the UbD process that is posted by Grant Wiggins. Please take a look.
- In UbD – Part 1 there is a questions at 7:38: What is a one-sentence mission statement for your course? This can be accessed at https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4isSHf3SBuQ&index=4&list=PLgzVKcgQbr-4kQYgCPIVJLJQ_WZZvXYcW. If that’s the goal then what’s the assessment? What should occur in the classroom to reach the goal(s)? What needs to happen with instruction to make this happen?
- In UbD – Part 2 https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vgNODvvsgxM&list=PLgzVKcgQbr-4kQYgCPIVJLJQ_WZZvXYcW&index=5. Take a look at the questions posed at 1:00. What chapters and resources are most important? What sources might you be able to find outside of the textbook to make your instruction the most meaningful? Revisit your goals. What are your meaning goals? What are your transfer goals? What strategies might you use to connect to students’ current level of expertise? What is the general pattern of instruction described by Wiggins in this second of the video? What strategies does Wiggins used to help students build meaning?
- Here are 9 High-Yield Instructional Strategies from Robert J. Marzano: http://www.palmbeachschools.org/qa/documents/Handout5-MarzanoHighYieldStrategies.pdf.
I hope that you find these strategies helpful and it helps further the conversation in our RSD CoP.